Friday 25 January 2013

Where it Began


Right.... where to begin....

For those who don’t know the back story of how I ended up doing this visual novel, here’s the relatively short version:

This whole thing started just over a year ago when the studio I was working for asked me to create a story around a set of characters by a talented artist (who can be contacted for commission here http://whipsmartmccoy.deviantart.com/ ). They are well drawn and look so much like the kind of characters I used to create; it was like looking into the past. What do you think of them?

Design Sheet Image 1

Design Sheet Image 2


Anyway, I was asked to create a fantasy story around these characters with no limitations so naturally I went wild. (I'm going to add in a separate page about the synopsis as soon as I figure out how). I changed a few bits and pieces about the characters, such as skin tone and names etc but mostly they stayed the same. Things were going well but unfortunately the studio hit financial problems and most projects were dropped. I was kindly given my project and all its assets and suddenly I was allowed to do whatever I liked with it. The first thing I decided to do was make the whole project my own. This meant changing the characters to fit my style so that I could illustrate it comfortably. There were so many wonderful things about these characters that I wanted to keep such as colour and most of the outfit design and hair styles. So I contacted the artist and told them I would be re designing the characters into something more me.

I'm going to upload them later and you can let me know what you think.

I'd be interested to know what kind of story others would have come up with, given these characters and no limitations. Feel free to share your version with me!

Information about The Hadron Gateway can be found on the About The Hadron Gateway page. Information about the characters can be found on the Character Profiles page.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds interesting I'd like to see these character re-designs

    ReplyDelete