Thursday 28 February 2013

Character designs at last!

Though I siad I'd upload these over the course of the week I ended up waiting untill I finished a few so that I could talk about all of them in one post. So I'll get right to the point.


Prince Lonyo


Prince Lonyo In'tomnda Laspanour The Second For The Hadron Gateway



This is Prince Lonyo In'tomnda Laspanour the Second. He's a redesign of the character on the far right of the original design sheet 2. On the original he has a blue Jacket, and although I think it looks better in blue I chose red for the regal look. There were a lot of experiments with the brightness and hue and I eventually settled for a red that didn’t fight the yellow for attention. With this design I really struggled with the colour of his boots. I tried a thousand combinations until I finally settled on black and gold and If I'm honest I still don't think its quite right. Aside from the problems with colour I think I really captured his smart but camp personality in the face without going overboard. I felt that the face on the original design was too effeminate and not strong enough for the character he needs to be. I also wanted to give him a little substance because he is very much the group’s central pillar in Laythan's path so he had to look dependable. I did worry that I would find Lonyo particularly difficult but I think I've really done him justice. I think he holds together very well and will fit nicely into the illustrations.



Jen Vidaya



Jen Vidaya For The Hadron Gateway


This is Jen Vidaya who corresponds to the first character on design sheet 2. As you can see I've kept the colour palette but made some changes to the clothes, face and build. She has a very small waist, muscled arms an average chest and big feet. I wanted her to be a tomboy so I had to change the skirt for trousers (aside from that, it would be little impractical for her to fight in a miniskirt). I went for a tattoo that would be easier to draw from all angles and I changed her face to look a lot less delicate. I wanted the viewer to be in no doubt that Jen's the type that would enjoy a messy brawl. Thankfully choosing the colour for her shoes was quick and painless unlike Lonyo's.



Myatt D'gana

Myatt D'gana For The Hadron Gateway



Myatt D'gana (who is the redesign of the third character on design sheet 1) was good fun to draw. I changed he body shape so that she is not curvy, not slender, but scrawny and childish. She's the tallest of all the girls yet she looks the youngest. Her outfit has stayed the same with the exception of her glove and her leggings. As with Jen, it would be silly if she tried fighting in a tiny dress and long socks. As Laythan's love interest I wanted her to look approachable and I took care to avoid the cliché of making her a curvy hottie. Plain was the way forward with this one as far as looks go. I think her charming face along with her tall scrawny build and approachable looking nature made her a successful design for me.



Leeya Nalani

Leeya Nalani For The Hadron Gateway



Leeya Nalani (who corresponds to the second character of design sheet 2) was also great fun to design. First and foremost I changed her skin colour because in the original designs everyone appears to be white. Given that they come from different places in different words I felt that it would be highly unlikely for them to all be the same colour. As for her body shape, I made her average in terms of curves and short legged in terms of height. Leeya is very petite and is actually the smallest of all the characters. As for her face I went for beauty and concentrated on making sure she would suit her role of crafty web weaver. Since Leeya doesn’t do any running around or fighting I stuck with the skirt and only made a few small changes to the outfit. I changed her sleeves and I gave her a more suitable belt for the role she plays. I would have made her shoes heels but I decided to go with flats to emphasise her shortness.


That’s plenty to be getting along with for now. Next to be uploaded should be Rylie followed by Myatt and Leeya in their evening dresses. Until then let me know what you think of the redesigns!

2 comments:

  1. I love all the new character designs but it would be better if you could put the old and new designs side-by-side so we can see the development. Lonyo's face is really unique and Leeya's colours go really nice together. Your one of very few people that design female characters well. Everyone else seems to go for the usual stereotypes and it gets annoying and boring. I don't see why, when male characters can be so unique and varied, female characters always end up falling into the same design categories 'sexy' or 'cute'. I like that, even with a certain amount of prettiness or cuteness, you haven't tried to design the 'perfect' character but gave them flaws. I really like Jens design, it suits her personality and Leeya has cool shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I did try very hard to make sure none of them are perfect. I do intend on putting the characters in a line up and comparing them next to the old ones when I finish. But I'd like to have the full set first. And personally I would love to own Leeya's shoes...

    ReplyDelete